Thursday 16 February 2012

Noise Anxiety

Over the last couple of years or so I've been experiencing weird reactions to specific types of sounds. Sometimes, certain sounds can make me feel tense, irritable or even slightly aggressive.
I'd been watching a film last night and there were many moments in it where certain words or phrases were being repeated over and over again. At one point during the film I thought I might have to leave the room because I felt like I was going to go crazy.
Anyway, I thought about it afterwards and recollected times where I'd be watching a game show and all of a sudden (as they do) the audience will start cheering and clapping loudly and I'd have to either leave them room or turn it off. I'm not sure what it is that does it but it does my head in!
Sirens too, although I'm aware they probably drive most people mad, I start to feel like I'm going to lose it and smash something if they go on for too long.
This doesn't always occur though. I like to listen to music at home and often go out to bars and clubs where loud music is being played. These times it doesn't seem to bother me.


I was a little bit concerned about this so I decided to Google some terms last night to see if anyone else had the same feelings towards noise as I do and (surprise surprise!) I'm not alone.
Noise anxiety is a general term which can be used to describe a variety of different conditions for example; Phonophobia is a fear of loud noises, Misophonia is an intolerance to certain sounds and Hyperacusis is an over-sensitivity to noises in a certain auditory range. These can all sometimes cause pain or stress. Some people, it appears, are more at risk from this than others. Usually people that already suffer from an anxious or depressed condition.

I've got a meeting with a doctor up at the hospital next week. Since this is new to me I'm going to discuss this with them and see what they say so I'll update you about it after I've been.


Thanks for reading :-)

Tay Tay

No comments:

Post a Comment